Falafel Burgers with Vegan Beetroot Mayo
- 400g can of chickpeas
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 red onion, chopped (larder)
- 25g fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- 3 tbsp plain flour (larder)
- 3 tbsp chickpea liquid
- 12 whole chickpeas
- 1 garlic clove
- 180ml olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp beetroot puree (peel, chop and boil for 30 minutes, then blitz to puree)
- 2 bread rolls
- 50g rocket leaves
- Dairy Free
Here’s how you do it
- Peel and chop one beetroot. Cook in boiling water for around 15-20 minutes until soft. Blitz in a food processor until soft and set aside.
- Reserve the liquid from the can of chickpeas and 12 whole chickpeas for the mayo. In a food processor, blitz up the rest of the chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, juice from 1/2 the lemon, cumin, harissa, 1 tbsp plain flour, salt and pepper.
- When well combined but still a little coarse, flour your hands and form 2 burger patties with the mixture, using more flour to mold into shape if needed.
- Shallow fry the patties for 4 – 5 minutes on each side on a low to medium heat until evenly crisp and golden. Keep warm in a low oven until ready to serve.
- For the mayo, blend 3 tbsp chickpea liquid with the 12 whole chickpeas, garlic clove and the juice from the remaining 1/2 lemon in a food processor until completely smooth. Now add the olive oil a little at a time and blend the mixture until it has a thick creamy texture, just like mayo.
- Transfer to a bowl, fold through the beetroot puree and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the buns in half and toast on a griddle. Spread a good dollop of beet mayo on the base and fill each with a burger and a handful of rocket leaves and tuck in.
Chef’s tip: Remember to whip up a batch of these falafel burgers at your next BBQ! We recommend pre-frying the burgers (as above) so that they retain their shape, then chill in the fridge and finish off on the BBQ for that unrivaled smokey flavour!
We’re offering The Mother Hood readers £25 off their first shop (min. spend £50) – simply enter “motherhood25” at checkout on www.farmdrop.com.