Guest post by Brenda Cuby of www.thegreenfamilia.co.uk:
More and more people tend to look at ways they can go greener, once they start their own family. Here we list ten easy ways to help this happen.
1. Plan your weekly meals, this will help reduce food waste and lets everybody have a say.
2. Grow your own. Kids love to get involved in practical tasks, so even if you live in a flat, get a couple of tubs and grow herbs or tomatoes or put your name down for an allotment, it is a great form of exercise and bonding as a family.
3. Share out the recycling duties, great idea for kids to make them responsible for ensuring either all the paper, cans or glass are recycled correctly.
4. Teach them from young the importance of turning on and off lights as you enter and leave a room. Switching off all appliances, not just leaving them on standby when not in use.
5. Buy a water butt, and help create awareness of better usage of water that is wasted.
6. Start cycling or walking more on the short journeys, get out of the habit of using cars for short journeys.
7. Get into the habit of only using reusable bags rather than picking up plastic bags at the checkout.
8. Turn off the electrical items like the tv’s and computers at least once or twice a week and do family activities together like playing board games etc.
9. Holiday in the UK, rather than jetting off to foreign climates.
10. Having a baby? Then use washable nappies rather than disposables, save yourself lots of money and start the green habit early.
There are of course many other ways in which you can go greener as a family, so why not add your own tips to this list?
Brenda Cuby is editor of www.thegreenfamilia.co.uk a natural living blog, which likes to highlight lots of great products to make greener living easy and affordable.
For more information on green living please visit: www.thegreenfamilia.co.uk
Image courtesy of www.opengraphicdesign.com